Sunday, December 30, 2018

Zojirushi: Butter Mochi


I've had a Zojirushi Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker for almost a decade now.  And I pull it out now and then to make a delicious loaf of bread.  But I've never used the other settings, one of which is CAKE.  Yes, I know, how is this possible?  Well, I guess I was just waiting for the right cake to make.  I'm still not sure what internet black hole I had fallen down when I found this recipe, but butter mochi cake is a dessert beloved by Hawaiians.  And now I know why.  Soft and chewy, but with a great buttery flavor and topped with coconut?  Winner.  I just hope you have a Zojirushi breadmaker to bake it in.

Butter Mochi
From Zojirushi

1 large egg
¾ cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
⅔ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup sweet rice flour (Mochiko)
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided use

Make sure the kneading blade is properly attached, and add the ingredients to baking pan in the order listed, except for the coconut.

Place the baking pan into the Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker, close the lid, and plug the cord into the outlet. Select the CAKE course and press START. When the add beeps sound, press START again to resume kneading.  When mixing (kneading cycle) completes (three minutes later), open the lid and carefully scrape off any flour that may be left on the side of the pan with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle half of the coconut on top of the batter, close the lid and resume baking.

When 1:00 shows in the display, add the remaining coconut on top of the batter.  When baking completes, allow to cool, remove from the pan and cut into squares to serve.

No comments: