Monday, December 24, 2018

Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook: Porcupine Meatballs


For Christmas Eve, my family typically has a spread of appetizers, so there's little bits of lots of interesting things to eat.  I knew that I wanted to bring some sort of meatball dish, but I didn't want the usual suspects.  Then I happened to see a reference on Pinterest to this recipe from my mom's old cookbook, and I knew I had a winner.  The rice takes the place of the breadcrumbs in the recipe, and the tomato soup forms a delicious sauce for the meatballs.  Just add toothpicks.

Porcupine Meatballs
From the 1974 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

1 pound ground beef
¼ cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon snipped parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
½ teaspoon sea salt
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (10¾-ounce) can condensed tomato soup, divided use
½ cup water
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine meat, rice, egg, parsley, onion, salt, pepper, and ¼ cup condensed tomato soup.  Mix thoroughly; shape in about 20 small balls and place in skillet.  Mix remaining soup, water, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs.  Bring to boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer 35 to 40 minutes, stirring often.

Makes 4 to 5 servings

No comments: