Monday, December 10, 2018

Pioneer Woman: Nantucket Cranberry Pie


I'm ashamed to admit that there were some fresh cranberries left over from the Thanksgiving production.  I got busy with other items, and I just didn't make it to that fresh cranberry sauce.  But that doesn't mean I want those delicious tart cranberries to go to waste.  I had long been eyeing this recipe, as it closely resembles as delicious pie at a local shop, so I had to try it.  And I'm glad I did.  This may be one of the best things I've ever made with fresh cranberries.  I highly recommend it hot with vanilla ice cream.

Nantucket Cranberry Pie
From Pioneer Woman blog

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus additional to grease pan
2 heaping cups fresh cranberries
¾ cup pecans, chopped
1⅔ cups granulated sugar, divided use
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon demerara sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Generously butter a 9-inch round cake pan.  Add cranberries to the bottom of the greased pan. Sprinkle on chopped pecans, then sprinkle on ⅔ cup of the sugar.

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, melted butter, eggs, almond extract, and salt. Stir gently to combine.  Pour batter slowly over the top in large "ribbons" in order to evenly cover the surface. Spread gently if necessary. Sprinkle with demerara sugar.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.  Cut into wedges and serve hot with ice cream or freshly whipped cream.

Makes 10 to 12 servings

No comments: