Saturday, December 12, 2015

Bon Appétit: Irish Cream Liqueur


Somehow I've sort-of gotten in the habit of making an alcoholic concoction around the holidays.  Because there's apparently not enough alcohol going around at the moment, I need more.  But with this one I have an excuse.  One of my favorite liqueurs is Bailey's, so who can turn down the opportunity to make a Bailey's clone that will probably taste even more fantastic than the original?  Not this girl.  So that's exactly what I did.  And it does taste more fantastic.  It's pretty thick, so I may go with some added milk next time.  But for now I'm going with the idea that it's the holidays, and a little splurging is a-okay.

Note:  I used 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey because that's what the guy at the liquor store recommended.  I used Hershey's Special Dark chocolate syrup because that's what was in my fridge.  I used espresso granules because I thought that would taste better than cheap coffee crystals.  I upped my cream of coconut to ¼ cup and added 1 teaspoon coconut extract because I wanted mine to taste more like something I had at a local restaurant ("The Juice" @ III Forks).  As you can see, this recipe is pretty forgiving.  Do what makes you happy.

Irish Cream Liqueur
From Bon Appétit magazine, January 2002, originally from Atlanta's World Trade Center restaurant, The Dining Room

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup Irish whiskey
1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon cream of coconut, such as Coco Lopez
Ice cubes

Combine first 5 ingredients in blender; blend until coffee crystals dissolve, about 1 minute. Add whipping cream and cream of coconut to mixture and blend 10 seconds. Transfer to pitcher; cover and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. (Can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead, keep refrigerated). Fill wineglasses with ice cubes. Pour chilled mixture over ice cubes and serve immediately.

Makes 8 servings

No comments: