Friday, February 24, 2023

Yossy Arefi: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake


Okay, I couldn't help myself.  After the other little cake, I needed to try another one.  And this recipe, with it's chocolate peanut butter cup attitude was calling my name.  I've never actually put the peanut butter IN the cake, but it absolutely works.  And this was so fast to slap together.  It's probably bad for me to have this book - it's encouraging frequent cake making.

Note: As you can probably tell from the picture, I did not make a glaze.  I made a frosting.  I just used less liquid.  Because I wanted frosting, dang it.  Also, I used half-and-half instead of water in the "glaze".  Because why use water when you can use dairy products?  I also used cocoa nibs on top because I didn't have peanuts.  And I also threw about ½ cup of chocolate chips in the cake batter before baking because I'm over the top like that.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
From Snacking Cakes by Yossy Arefi

1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup smooth peanut butter
½ cup canola oil
½ cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup hot coffee or water

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of kosher salt
1 to 2 tablespoons hot water
½ cup chopped roasted and salted peanuts
Flaky salt, to finish (optional)

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter or coat an 8-inch square pan with nonstick spray. Line the pan with a strip of parchment paper that hangs over two of the edges.

In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar and eggs until pale and foamy, about 1 minute. Add the peanut butter, oil, milk, vanilla, and salt. Whisk until smooth and emulsified. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.

Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda and whisk until well-combined and smooth.  Lastly, add the coffee and stir until well-combined and smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, tap the pan gently on the counter to release any air bubbles, and smooth the top of the batter with an offset spatula.

Bake the cake until puffed and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Then use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and set it on the rack to cool completely.

To make the glaze:
In a bowl, whisk the powdered sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, kosher salt, and 1 tablespoon hot water until smooth.  If the glaze is very thick, add more water, a few drops at a time, until it is a smooth and pourable consistency.

Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and sprinkle with chopped peanuts and a few sprinkles of flaky salt (if using).  Let the glaze set for about 20 minutes before slicing the cake.

No comments: