Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Veg Recipes of India: Kadai Paneer


I have been a big fan of Veg Recipes of India for a couple of years now, and that's inevitably where I go when I need a new recipe.  This blog taught me to be a better cook when it comes to Indian food, and I'm forever grateful.  I'm not even scared to grab that block of paneer at the store, because I know I'll find something delicious to make with it.  This is what?  The fourth paneer recipe on here?  All fantastic.

Note: I did not have whole kashmiri chilies, so I opted for the ground powder that I did have.  Also used ground coriander because I was lazy.  You should absolutely use what the original recipe suggests and don't be lazy like me if you have the time.

Kadai Paneer
Adapted from Veg Recipes of India blog

1 (1½-inch) piece ginger, peeled
8 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons ghee
2 medium onions, chopped
3 teaspoons ground coriander
2½ teaspoons kashmiri chili powder
2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
5 plum tomatoes, pureed
1 small green pepper, cut into bite-size squares
1 small red pepper, cut into bite-size squares
¾ cup water
2½ teaspoons kosher salt
1½ teaspoons crushed kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
1 teaspoon garam masala
8 to 10 ounces paneer, cubed
2 tablespoons half-and-half
1 to 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Crush the ginger and garlic to a fine paste in a mortar and pestle or small food processor.

In a pan heat the ghee. Then add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the raw aroma disappears. Then add the chopped onions and sauté until transparent. Add the ground coriander and kashmiri red chilli powder. Mix well.

Add the finely chopped tomatoes and sauté until the tomatoes become pulpy and you see oil releasing from the sides of the tomato masala. Then add tomato puree. Stir well and continue to sauté until you once again see oil leaving the sides, about 9 to 10 minutes on low.

Add the green and red bell pepper. Stir and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on medium-low. Add the water and salt and continue to simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, until the bell pepper is al dente. Then add kasuri methi and garam masala and stir.

Add paneer cubes and stir gently. Cook the paneer in the sauce for about 2 minutes. Just before serving, gently stir in half-and-half. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with rotis, naan, steamed rice or jeera rice.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: