Saturday, February 18, 2023

Yossy Arefi: Chocolate-Almond Olive Oil Cake with Raspberries


So, I got a new cookbook.  And it's full of these delicious little cakes that fit in one 8-inch square pan.  So of course I can't resist, because this is just the size of cake I need for me to enjoy thoroughly while also not feeling guilty about wasting food when I inevitably have to trash the part I didn't get to. (When I was a kid, I could never even conceive of the idea of trashing cake.  Horrors.)  This one appealed to me since it used half almond flour, and I have to say I'm a fan.

Note: The book also mentions that you can make this cake in a 9-inch round pan or a 9x5-inch loaf pan if you don't want to use the 8-inch square.

Chocolate-Almond Olive Oil Cake with Raspberries
From Snacking Cakes by Yossy Arefi

1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
⅔ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon cocoa nibs

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter or coat an 8-inch square pan with nonstick spray. Line the pan with a strip of parchment paper that hangs over two of the edges.

In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs until pale and foamy, about 1 minute. Add the yogurt, oil, vanilla, and salt. Whisk until smooth and emulsified. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until well-combined and smooth.

Add the all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, and baking soda and whisk until well-combined and smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, tap the pan gently on the counter to release any air bubbles, and smooth the top of the batter with an offset spatula. Scatter the raspberries and cocoa nibs over the top.

Bake the cake until puffed and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Then use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and set it on the rack to cool completely.

No comments: