Monday, November 21, 2022

Gennie's Bishop Grill: Candied Butternut Squash


Many years ago I came across a recipe book for an old Dallas restaurant called Gennie's Bishop Grill.  I'd only ever made one other recipe from it, for peanut butter pie, and I figured it was about time that I took a look to see if anything else seemed interesting.  I finally came across this recipe, and even though it seemed like an obscene amount of butter and sugar, I went ahead and tried it.  I'm glad I did - this squash is pretty fantastic.  I had to stop myself from picking pieces out of the dish.  Definitely a holiday or once-in-a-while treat, but delicious.

Note: I had to cook my squash closer to the 2 hour mark, but just keep checking it until it's tender.  Low and slow.

Candied Butternut Squash
From Gennie's Bishop Grill cookbook

3½ pounds butternut squash cubes
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup honey
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Place squash cubes in a large casserole dish.  Preheat oven to 275°F.

In heavy saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, honey, and spices. Bring to a rolling boil; cook for five minutes and then remove from heat. Stir in extracts.

Pour syrup over squash. Cover casserole with foil tightly, sealing all edges. Cook for 1 to 2 hours, depending on size of squash cubes, until squash is tender.

Makes 8 servings

No comments: