Saturday, December 17, 2016

The InterContinental at Doral, Miami: Pollo en Crema con Loroco (Aura Cameron’s Stewed Chicken with Loroco Flower)


When I toured Guatemala with a dear friend many years ago, I got to partake of the delicious dishes of that country at each family's house we visited.  It was like a parade of deliciousness.  One dish that I really enjoyed was chicken cooked in sour cream and a flower called loroco.  I had no idea what I was eating, I just knew it was good.  I figured the chances of finding this flower in the US were basically zero, so I didn't think much more about it.  Flash forward to me wandering the frozen food aisle of my local Mexican grocery and suddenly realizing I was staring at a bag of loroco.  The cashier must have thought I was some kind of crazy gringo as I grinned all the way through her line.

Pollo en Crema con Loroco (Aura Cameron’s Stewed Chicken with Loroco Flower)
Adapted from The InterContinental at Doral, Miami, as seen on South Florida Gourmet blog

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
½ red bell pepper, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
½ teaspoon achiote or annatto paste
1½ cups loroco flowers, roughly chopped
2 chicken leg quarters, skinned and cut into pieces
1½ cups chicken stock
2 cups crema (sour cream)
½ cup heavy cream
Salt and Pepper

In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, plum tomato, onion, garlic, and bell peppers. Cook for approximately 10 minutes till the onions are translucent and the vegetables are soft. Incorporate the achiote paste.

Add the loroco flowers, chicken, and chicken broth.  Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for approximately 25 minutes.  Add the crema and heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium low heat for approximately 20 to 30 minutes (keep checking and occasionally stir) until the chicken is cooked.

When the chicken is cooked, serve with rice.

Makes 2 servings

No comments: