Saturday, December 03, 2016

Bluestem: hamachi, black radish, celery


Enough of all this comfort food memory lane wandering.  Ready for something fancy?  Something cutting edge?  No?  Well, too bad.  I'm feeling the need for something raw.  I'm also feeling like I should probably make this recipe since I've had it picked out roughly since the Bluestem cookbook came out in 2011.  Oops.  Well, suffice to say that this was delicious and original.  Excellent use of hamachi.  I still can't believe I found a black radish.  I think it was roughly four times the size used at the restaurant, but it was black, and that's all that matters.

Note: I used yellow mustard seeds and New Mexican ground chile.  Since the directions weren't specific, I figured I could do what I wanted.

hamachi, black radish, celery
From Bluestem: The Cookbook by Colby Garrelts

hamachi
2 tablespoons coriander seeds, crushed
1 teaspoon togarashi (Japanese seven-spice blend)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon mustard seeds, crushed
¼ teaspoon ground dried chile
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces sushi-grade hamachi, cut into 4 (2-ounce pieces)
2 tablespoons peanut oil

salad
Juice of ½ lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
4 black radishes, thinly shaved
2 celery hearts, thinly sliced

Make the hamachi: Combine the coriander, togarashi, paprika, mustard seeds, ground chile, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.  Rub the spices all over the pieces of fish to coat well.

Heat the oil in a small skillet over high heat.  When the oil begins to shimmer, sear the fish for 5 seconds on each side.  Using a very sharp knife, slice the fish against the grain into ⅛-inch thick slices.

Make the salad: Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl.  Toss the shaved radishes and celery in the dressing to coat.

To serve: Divide the slices of fish among 4 plates.  Garnish the plates with the salad.  Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: