Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Breakfast Tacos


I've really been hurting lately for some Tex-Mex goodness. My last trip home was this summer, so it's been a months-long dry spell. I decided the easiest and most delicious option was to make some tasty breakfast tacos with guacamole on the side.

I wish I could say I used some chorizo or Jimmy Dean, but I didn't. Here in New Italy, your sausage comes three ways: hot, sweet, or luganiga. I picked sweet since I have to use the rest of the sausage in something else, but yes, it was weird. Luckily the onions, tomatoes, and jalapeño I added to the mix were just perfect. The eggs cooked up fluffy and bright, probably due to the fact that I splurged on some cage-free super eggs. The tacos were perfect with a topping of Cheddar cheese and the salsa I dragged all the way from Texas when I moved (all hail Joe T. Garcia's!).

Breakfast Tacos

 chub Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage
½ medium tomato, diced
½ small onion, diced
½ jalapeño, finely chopped
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon heavy cream
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Cheddar cheese
Salsa
6-inch tortillas, warmed (corn tastes better, but flour holds up better)

Cook sausage in large skillet, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks. When it is no longer pink, add tomato, onion, and jalapeño. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until onion softens slightly.

Beat eggs, cream, and cumin in a small bowl. Pour egg mixture over sausage and vegetables, and stir occasionally until eggs are scrambled and cooked. There should be enough grease left from cooking the sausage to keep the eggs from sticking to the pan. Stuff tortillas with egg mixture, and top with cheese, salsa, and any other topping you love. Suggestions include sour cream, guacamole, jalapeño slices, and cilantro. You can also add cubed cooked potatoes to the mix, but add some ground red pepper and salt to season the potatoes.

4 comments:

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Tex mex is good anytime of the day!!! Looks great

Betty said...

New Italy! funny. there are places you can get chorizo. i see commercials for this supermarket in the union city/west new york area. i want to get some. when i end up going i can pick some up for you.

the oaxacan place i went to around the corner from teresa in bk

test it comm said...

What a tasty way to start the day!

Anonymous said...

I could eat breakfast tacos any day, every day. Yours look fantastic!!

I would love to write about your recipe on our blog! If you are interested send me an email at haley@keyingredient.com

Thanks!
Haley, KI Blogger