Friday, November 14, 2008

Gourmet: Rice Pudding


I love rice pudding. Which is strange, because I don't really remember having it when I was a child. In fact, I think I remember my mom making it one time, and I didn't want to try it. What a waste.  This rice pudding was so incredibly easy, it's almost shocking. No standing at the stove for an hour. Just mix, bake, and eat. The vanilla flavor in particular is subtle and seductive, just how I like it.

Rice Pudding
From Gourmet magazine, December 2007

2 cups whole milk
8 teaspoons granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
⅓ cup Arborio rice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons heavy cream
Ground cinnamon, to taste

Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a small bowl, combine milk, sugar, and nutmeg. Pour into a casserole dish. Sprinkle rice even over the milk. Carefully slide casserole dish into the oven. Bake for approximately an hour, or until very little liquid is left in the dish, and the skin that has formed over the top is golden brown. Cool casserole dish on a rack.

When cooled, peel the skin off the top of the pudding. Add vanilla and cream, and stir in. Spoon into individual dishes, and serve cool or chilled, sprinkled with cinnamon. Makes 4 small servings or 2 large ones.

No comments: