Monday, January 03, 2022

Best Turkey Tetrazzini


I think one of my favorite casseroles is turkey tetrazzini.  If I see this anywhere at a restaurant, you can be guaranteed that I will order it, even knowing it's probably not that good.  Even better if I'm at an old school cafeteria.  I'm not sure where my love for this dish came from, but it's pretty all-consuming.  And I've been looking for an amazing recipe so that I don't have to rely on the frozen Stouffer meals I've been packing into my freezer.  This casserole is everything good and warm and creamy and savory.  And it's a fantastic use of all that extra holiday turkey.

Best Turkey Tetrazzini

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 shallots, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup medium sherry
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
1½ cups turkey stock
2 cups heavy cream
Kosher salt
¾ teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups shredded turkey
12 ounces spaghetti noodles, cooked
¾ cup frozen green peas, optional
3 tablespoons pimento
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided use
⅓ cup panko

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a 12-inch skillet, melt 5 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.  Add mushrooms and shallots and sauté until the mushrooms have released their water and the shallots are translucent.  Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds or so.  Deglaze the pan with the sherry and allow it to reduce by half.

Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir, allowing the flour to cook slightly.  Add the turkey stock and heavy cream and allow the mixture to cook until thickened.  Add the salt, pepper, dried thyme, and nutmeg to season.  Fold in the turkey meat, spaghetti noodles, green peas, pimento, and ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese.  Turn the mixture out into a greased 13x9-inch glass baking dish.

In a separate dish, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, panko, and the remaining butter, melted.  Sprinkle the panko mixture evenly over the casserole and bake, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes, or until bubbly and breadcrumb topping is lightly browned.

Makes 12 servings

No comments: