Friday, November 23, 2018

Homemade "Stove Top" Stuffing


I love me some Stove Top stuffing.  And no stuffing recipe I have ever made has even come close to the umami chicken goodness of that boxed mix.  But as with most things, I didn't really love how processed it was.  There had to be a better way.  So after scrutinizing the ingredients label of the package and doing some internet research, I came up with this recipe.  And I have to say, it pretty much nails it.  I think this is my go-to stuffing recipe for Thanksgivings to come.

Note: The chicken fat and Accent powder (MSG) will help you achieve the flavor of the packaged stuffing mix, but feel free to substitute additional butter and salt if you can't find these ingredients or prefer not to use them.  I found chicken fat (schmaltz) in the kosher section.  I picked the cubed stuffing mix because it comes the closest in size and texture to the cubes in the box mix, but you can absolutely substitute some fresh dried bread cubes; less stock and some additional poultry seasoning may be needed.

Homemade "Stove Top" Stuffing

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chicken fat (schmaltz)
1 cup diced celery
½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
⅓ cup finely chopped carrot
⅓ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon Accent seasoning
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2½ cups chicken broth
1 (12-ounce) package Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned cubed stuffing

Melt butter and chicken fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add celery, onion, and carrot, and cook until soft.  Add parsley, poultry seasoning, turmeric, Accent seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.  Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Add stuffing mix, stir well to coat all of the bread crumbs, then cover and remove from the heat.  Let set, covered, for 10 minutes.  Fluff with a fork and serve.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

No comments: