Sunday, June 24, 2018

Creme de la Crumb: Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa


My office tries hard to make life fun for us, even if we're working 20 hours of overtime every quarter, and I appreciate that.  The latest part of the fun drive was a salsa-making contest.  I've honestly not been a big salsa maker, but I figured I would play along.  While I don't have a way to smoke all of the ingredients, I did find fire-roasted tomatoes.  And mine wasn't very spicy, so I've included a serrano pepper in the list below to give it a kick next time.  I did lose to a handmade Mexican salsa served in a molcajete, but hey, I was proud.

Note: It may look like the salsa is very soupy.  Resist the urge to dump those juices.  You'll need to stir them in later to keep everything loose.

Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa
Adapted from Creme de la Crumb blog

1 (28-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 (4-ounce) can diced green Hatch chilis
1 small red onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 to 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
1 serrano pepper, seeded and diced
1 large handful of cilantro leaves
Juice of 1 lime
1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt, to taste

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse until all ingredients come together and are pureed.  Serve immediately or, for best flavor, cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours or longer. Store chilled in airtight container.

Makes about 2½ cups

No comments: