Monday, June 18, 2018

Bon Appétit: Shrimp Scampi


I'm not sure what my deal is lately, but all I can think about is eating mounds of shrimp.  Shrimp covered in melted butter and garlic.  I haven't dreamed about it yet, but I'm sure that's coming soon.  Well, I figured the fastest way to remedy this situation was to find a decent scampi recipe and cook up some shrimp for dinner.  I'm honestly not sure when I've been happier.  I was literally pulling hot little shrimp from the pan with my fingers because I couldn't wait for it to get to my plate.  And absolutely make sure you have some sort of vehicle for the juices, whether bread or pasta.

Note: I used double the amount of garlic.  Because they never put enough garlic in anything.

Shrimp Scampi
From Bon Appétit magazine, February 2017

4 garlic cloves, 2 grated, 2 thinly sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Warm crusty bread (for serving)

Whisk grated garlic, salt, and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl. Add shrimp, toss to coat, and chill, uncovered, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium and cook shrimp mixture, being careful not to let shrimp or garlic brown, until shrimp is pink but still slightly underdone, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon, leaving as much oil in pan as possible. Add sliced garlic and red pepper to skillet and cook, tossing, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine and lemon juice and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add butter and cook, stirring and swirling pan occasionally, until butter is melted and sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes more.

Scrape shrimp along with any accumulated juices into skillet. Toss to coat and cook until shrimp are fully cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter, top with parsley, and serve with bread for dipping alongside.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: