Saturday, May 27, 2017

The View from Great Island: Rainier Cherry Almond Tart


I love cherries.  I wish it was cherry season all year long.  I especially love specialty cherries, like Rainier.  I wish I could get some fresh tart cherries, but I think I would need to move to Portland or something.  But fabulous cherries deserve a fabulous treatment.  And what better with cherries than almond?  Nothing.  Cherries love almond.  And I love this tart.  The almond balances perfectly with the slight tart-sweetness of the cherries.  And it's pretty.  It was delicious warm or cold.  And yes, I plan to eat some for breakfast.

Rainier Cherry Almond Tart
From The View from Great Island blog

Pie crust to line a 9inch tart pan
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup almond meal
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (or use more almond meal for gluten free)
Approximately 30 to 40 cherries, pitted and halved

Set oven to 375°F. Line the 9-inch tart pan or pie plate with the crust. Put in the refrigerator while you continue.

Cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, and then mix in the almond extract and flours. Spread the mixture into the pie shell and top with the cherry halves, laying them face down across the entire surface of the tart.

Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.

Makes 10 to 12 servings

No comments: