Friday, May 26, 2017

Sweet Myrtle and Bitter Honey: Macarrones kin Recottu (Pasta with Ricotta and Bottarga)


I remember when this cookbook was released in 2007.  I admit that I bought it because of the big picture of cheesy pasta on the front.  Yes, sometimes it's that easy to hook me.  I even went out of my way to acquire the correct pasta.  And then I did nothing.  The pasta got trashed at some point during a move and the cookbook disappeared.  It wasn't until I ran across another copy at the used bookstore that I started thinking, "why didn't I ever make that delicious looking pasta?"  So I acquired another bag of the special pasta and a bottle of grated bottarga, and voila!  It looks fabulous, but honestly?  Not really worth the effort it took to acquire the supplies. Wah wah.  But hey, now I can say I've made real Sardinian food!

Macarrones kin Recottu (Pasta with Ricotta and Bottarga)
From Sweet Myrtle and Bitter Honey by Efisio Farris

1 pound malloreddus pasta (or short tubular pasta)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sheep's milk ricotta cheese (or other creamy ricotta cheese)
4 tablespoons grated bottarga di muggine (grey mullet roe)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add malloreddus and boil for 10 to 12 minutes, or until al dente.

While cooking the pasta, heat the heavy cream in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ricotta and stir well to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, continuously stirring until the sauce thickens and is well combined. Stir in 2 tablespoons of bottarga and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Drain pasta and add to ricotta mixture. Add parsley and toss until to combine; stir in the olive oil. Pour pasta mixture into a ceramic serving dish, then sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of bottarga.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: