Friday, October 14, 2016

Porcini Rice Pilaf


I love getting to the grocery store first thing in the morning.  When you're the first person strolling through the produce aisle, you're almost guaranteed to find something rare and delicious.  At least at my local store.  The last time I went, I ended up with a small bag of fresh porcini mushrooms.  Amazing score.  But then I had to stew over what I was going to make with my treasure, so they had to sit tight in the fridge.  Until now.  I've always love rice pilaf, so that's what I kept coming back to in my perusal of recipes.  Mushrooms, toasted orzo, tender rice...a fabulous side dish.

Porcini Rice Pilaf

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 shallots, minced
1 ounce porcini mushrooms
¼ cup orzo
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon truffle oil (optional)

In a medium pan over medium-high heat, melt butter.  Add shallots and mushrooms and cook until the shallots are translucent and the mushrooms have released their liquid.  Add the orzo and cook until lightly browned.  Add the remaining ingredients, lower heat to low, and cover.  Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.  Fluff with a fork and toss in the truffle oil, if using.

Makes 6 servings

No comments: