Saturday, February 06, 2016

Food.com: Tex-Mex Deviled Eggs


What do you do when you have a whole carton of eggs in the fridge, and you've been out of town, and generally inclined to just get something on the way home instead of cooking, and the eggs are reaching their expiration date?  Well, you can either have a big 'ol omelet for several days running, or you can make some deviled eggs.  While I love a good omelet, I'm not inclined to make one in the five minutes before work that I spent contemplating breakfast, so deviled eggs it was.  I remembered trying some deviled eggs at a potluck years ago that were made with salsa, so I figured I would give them a spin.  A bunch of alterations later, and I think I have something most people would like.  Also, I will note this is just in time for the Super Bowl, so snack-tastic!

Note: I used Joe T. Garcia's salsa picante because that's what was in the fridge, but since it's a local brand, just try to use something yummy.  I also think these would be fantastic sprinkled with bacon bits, because...bacon and eggs.  As you can see, it didn't happen this time for me, but don't make my same mistake.

Tex-Mex Deviled Eggs
Adapted from Kittencal on food.com

¼ cup medium salsa
7 large hard-boiled eggs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1½ teaspoons sour cream
½ cup finely grated Cheddar cheese
2 to 3 green onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon lime juice (or 1 additional teaspoon white vinegar)
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
Paprika

Drain the salsa over a fine mesh strainer.  Push the liquid through the strainer with the back of a spoon to speed up the process.  Set aside.

Using a sharp knife, slice the hard-boiled eggs in half.  Carefully remove the yolks from all 7 eggs and place into a food processor.  Save the whites from 1 egg for another use or discard.  Place the 12 remaining egg white halves on a plate or serving platter.

Add all remaining ingredients to the food processor.  Process for about 10 seconds or until smooth.  Transfer the mixture to a bowl.

Spoon or pipe about 1 tablespoon of filling into each egg white half.  Sprinkle each egg half with paprika.  Cover the eggs with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours before serving.

Makes 6 servings (2 egg halves per serving)

No comments: