Friday, January 01, 2016

Deep South Dish: Comeback Sauce


There's a chicken finger restaurant in my neighborhood (*cough cough* Cane's *cough cough*) to which I'm a bit addicted.  Not because of the chicken fingers, although those are fantastic.  It's because of the sauce into which you dip the chicken fingers.  I'm not even kidding.  I always get extra so that I can dip my french fries in it also.  And of course the sauce recipe is a highly-guarded secret.  What is not so secret is that it's a spin-off on a Southern favorite, Comeback Sauce.  So while the sauce I made below is not an exact replica (it's a bit spicier than the restaurant version), it gives you a good idea of what I'm talking about.  And it's fantastic on just about anything: chicken, fries, hushpuppies, burgers.  You name it, this sauce will make it better.

Comeback Sauce
Adapted from Deep South Dish blog

1 cup mayonnaise (such as Duke's)
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup chili sauce (such as Heinz)
¼ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Creole mustard
Juice of ½ lemon
⅛ to ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning (such as Slap Ya Mama)
¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon ground allspice

Put all of the ingredients in a blender and process until well mixed. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Will keep well in the refrigerator for about a week.

Makes about 2 cups of sauce

No comments: