Sunday, July 27, 2014

P.S. Heart: Vanilla Bean Blueberry Chip Ice Cream


I am so bad with produce.  I see something amazing at the store or the farmer's market, and I get so excited.  I buy whatever beautiful fruit or vegetable it is, and then a couple of weeks later, I find it in the back of my fridge growing a penicillin colony.  Horrible.  I've tried to do better (really!), but I almost ended up losing a pint of organic blueberries that I had coveted.  Since they weren't perfect like they were when I bought them and should have used them, I figured a different application was in order.  And what's better in the summer than homemade ice cream?  NOTHING.

Vanilla Bean Blueberry Chip Ice Cream
Adapted from P.S. Heart blog

4 egg yolks
1½ cups sugar
3 cups whole milk
1 cup half and half
1 cup whipping cream
2½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste
1 pint blueberries, cooked down with a little water to about 1 cup (do not add sugar when cooking them down!)
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped

Whisk ½ cup of sugar into the egg yolks. Combine the egg yolk mixture with the milk, half and half, whipping cream, remaining sugar, and vanilla bean paste. Stirring constantly with a whisk, cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens slightly and lightly coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and add the cooked blueberries. Cool slightly, then refrigerate until cold.

Pour the cold mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and run. When the mixture gets thick, about 25 minutes, add the chocolate. The mixture will still be only soft-serve texture. Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container, and freeze until solid.

No comments: