Friday, November 22, 2013

Smitten Kitchen: Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms


I think I have a relatively unhealthy love of mushrooms.  I swear, I could eat them every day and not get sick of them.  There's something about the way they soak up all the delicious goodness of whatever you cook them in that just makes them a delight on the tongue.  Especially when that goodness is butter and garlic.  Heck, I might start putting butterandgarlic up there with bacon in making everything taste better.

I saw this recipe quite a while ago, and to this day I'm not entirely sure why I didn't make it IMMEDIATELY.  I must have been confused at the time.  Because this recipe makes a batch of mushrooms that make you want to lick your fingers and keep going back for more until you realize you ate the whole dang dish yourself.  I didn't have capers in my refrigerator, and I didn't miss them.

Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen blog, as seen on Gourmet.com

1 pound mushrooms such as cremini or white, halved lengthwise if large
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
⅛ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle. Toss mushrooms with capers, garlic, oil, salt, and several grinds of pepper in a 1½- to 2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with butter and roast, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and golden and bubbly garlic sauce forms below, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and parsley. Serve immediately, with crusty bread on the side for swiping up the juices.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: