Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Good Appetite: Creamy Sausage and Ramp Pasta

I never figured that moving to another state would mean also coming upon new foods.  I mean, I've been cooking for a while now.  How did I not hear about ramps??  Especially as delicious as they are.  They're like the perfect onion/leek/spring onion.  I think their season is so short just to torture me.

I'm not normally a pasta lover, but the ramps and cream and sausage in this dish just kinda work.  It's one of those lick-your-bowl-clean things.  But now I have to figure out how to get ramps if I move back to Texas...

Creamy Sausage and Ramp Pasta
Adapted from A Good Appetite blog

6 ounces fresh linguine
½ tablespoon olive oil
½ pound Italian sausage
10 ramps
 cup half-and-half
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cook pasta according to directions on box.  When cooked, drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the sausage and cook through.  Slice the ramps; bulbs, stems, and leaves, keeping the leaves separate from the bulbs and stems.  Add the bulbs and stems to the skillet and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until slightly softened.  Add the half-and-half and cheese.  Bring to a simmer and stir for 1 minute.  Add the cooked pasta and ramp leaves.  Stir until the ramp leaves wilt slightly and everything is heated through.  Season with salt and pepper.

Makes 2 servings

No comments: