Sunday, January 31, 2021

Fisher Nuts: Walnut & Cranberry Apple Crumble


Whenever it's cold, I start looking for ways to fit some dessert into my life in as warm of a way as possible.  This often leads me to baked desserts, so why not use the best fruit of the season?  I was intrigued when I saw this recipe, as I hadn't really considered putting apples and cranberries together in a crumble, but it really does work well.  I only wish I'd had some vanilla bean ice cream in the freezer.

Walnut & Cranberry Apple Crumble
From Fisher Nuts

Topping:
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
¼ cup very soft butter, cut into ½-inch pieces

Filling:
1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons apple or cranberry juice
1 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Topping: Stir together first four ingredients in a bowl.  Blend in butter with fingertips until large clumps form.  Chill until ready to use.

Filling: Cook first 4 ingredients in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often until juices release.  Add cornstarch and boil about 5 minutes until juices thicken slightly.  Stir in walnuts.  Transfer filling to a buttered 13x9-inch dish.  Sprinkle with topping.

Bake at 375°F for about 40 minutes or until filling bubbles and topping is golden brown.  Cool 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 12 servings

No comments: