Friday, February 07, 2020

Pioneer Woman: Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole


I keep looking for delicious new ways to do breakfast because I do think it's an important meal, and I would like to do it right.  But mine normally consists of some form of coffee, and when I realize I'm actually super hungry around 10am, whatever I can scrounge to get me to lunch.  So I made the effort to get this in the oven, and I'm super glad I did.  This takes the concept of the potato breakfast casserole and makes it even easier, if that's possible, by just using handfuls of tater tots.  Easy is awesome when you're busy as heck, so this is two thumbs up for me.  Second thumb up for being delicious, too.

Note: I used Alexia Crispy Seasoned Potato Puffs with roasted garlic and cracked black pepper.

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Adapted from Pioneer Woman

1 (16-ounce) bag frozen Tater Tots
Butter, for the baking dish
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound breakfast sausage, regular or spicy
1 medium onion, very finely diced
1 red bell pepper, very finely diced
1 green bell pepper, very finely diced
1 cup milk
½ cup half and half
¼ teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne
4 large eggs
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Line up the tater tots in a buttered 9x13-inch baking dish.

Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, onion, and bell peppers, and cook, breaking the sausage up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, then sprinkle it over the tater tots.

In a large bowl, mix the milk, half-and-half, seasoned salt, cayenne, eggs, half of both cheeses and some salt and pepper. Pour over the tots and sausage mixture, then top with the rest of the cheese. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Bake, covered, for about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly and the casserole is cooked through, another 20 to 35 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.

Makes 8 servings

No comments: