Saturday, February 16, 2019

Spicy Southern Kitchen: Smoked Ham Salad


I'm not sure how I got on this kick of wanting ham salad.  I know my dad would make deviled ham occasionally when I was a child, but that came out of a can.  I decided to taste test that option first, and oh boy, was that terrible.  It tasted the way I imagine dog food tastes.  I decided to go with a fresher option and use a smoked ham slice from the refrigerated deli section of the grocery.  While probably not everyone's memory of ham salad, this make a pretty fantastic filling for a summer sandwich.

Smoked Ham Salad
Adapted from Spicy Southern Kitchen blog

2 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cup mayonnaise
1 pound smoked ham, cubed
4 green onions, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
1 handful flat-leaf Italian parsley
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
¾ to 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish

Place cream cheese and mayonnaise in a food processor and pulse 4 or 5 times, or until well-combined.  Add remaining ingredients, except for pickle relish, and pulse until ham is finely chopped.  Fold in relish.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments: