Sunday, September 11, 2016

Guava Passion Fruit Rum Jam


Okay, I know, I know, I said I wasn't going to make any more jam.  I know.  I think something may be wrong with me, because I just couldn't stop myself.  I saw this big pile of guavas at the store, and they smelled so fantastic.  Before I knew it, I was filling up a bag and telling myself what a fantastic jam they would make.  And they do!  Especially when you add a pop of passion fruit.  And don't forget the rum.  Because every good jam deserves some alcohol.

Guava Passion Fruit Rum Jam

7 to 8 passion fruits
3¾ pounds guava
4½ cups granulated sugar
2 ounces fresh lime juice
¼ cup spiced rum, such as Captain Morgan's
6 tablespoons powdered pectin
½ teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste

Prepare six jars with bands for canning.

Cut each passion fruit in half and scoop the seeds into the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse the pulp three or four times to loosen the seeds.  Press the pulp through a strainer, discarding seeds.  You should have ½ cup of passion fruit juice.  Set aside.

Top and tail the guavas, peel, and cut into quarters.  Put into a large pot with 2 cups of water.  Cook over medium heat, mashing the guavas, for 20 minutes, or until soupy and only some large chunks remain.  Press the guava mixture through a strainer, discarding seeds.  You should have 4 cups of guava puree.

In a large pot, combine passion fruit juice, guava puree, sugar, lime juice, and rum.  Heat over medium for about 10 minutes.  Sprinkle with powdered pectin and add butter, bring to a boil, and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly.  Turn the heat down to medium-low and mix in vanilla bean paste.

Fill prepared jars with the jam mixture.  Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp cloth and place lids on the jars.

Place the closed jars in a large pot of hot water, covered by 2 inches. Bring the water to a full boil and boil for 10 minutes, then transfer the jars onto a thick towel to let cool. Leave them undisturbed for 24 hours. Check to make sure that all lids have sealed by pressing on the center of the lid. If the lid moves, place the jar in the refrigerator.

Makes 6 half-pint jars

No comments: