Thursday, October 30, 2014

Saveur: Candied Orange Peels


I'm not in the mood for mini bags of M&M's and tiny Kit-Kats even though it's almost Halloween.  Why eat those processed candies that were made nine months ago when I can have my own candy that was made nine minutes ago?  If I had known it was this easy to make my own candy, this would have been happening every year.  Although I doubt the neighborhood parents would appreciate me handing this out to their kiddos.  Their loss, because these candied orange peels are awesome.

Candied Orange Peels
Adapted from Saveur magazine, December 1999

3 navel oranges
1 cup granulated sugar, plus additional for coating
⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon half-and-half or whole milk

Trim ½-inch off ends of navel oranges, then make a slit in rinds and scoop out flesh. Slice peels into ⅓-inch-wide strips, put in a bowl, cover with water, and refrigerate overnight.

Transfer strips to a medium pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Drain strips and set aside. In same pot bring sugar and ½ cup water to a boil until sugar dissolves. Add strips. Simmer until soft and glazed, about 30 minutes.

Dry strips on a rack until tacky. Roll in sugar.  Melt chocolate chips and half-and-half together and dip ends of orange peels in melted chocolate, if you like.

Makes 40-50 strips

No comments: