Sunday, February 03, 2013

Rock Recipes: Baked Honey Lemon Glazed Wings


So, the Super Bowl.  I'm sure I'll get razzed for this, but who the hell cares?  If I want to see real football, I'll watch the college teams (go Horns!!).  I'm only in it for the food.  And luckily for me, Super Bowl time is like the prime time for all things greasy, cheesy, and ridiculously bad for you.

I wanted to join in all the junk food fun, but I just couldn't bring myself to fry up a batch of chicken wings.  I found this recipe for baking them and figured I'd give it a go.  While the wings never did crisp up much (see, you need the hot oil bath!), the sauce was pretty darn good.  I'm betting that if I slap these bad boys in the oven at a higher temp, I'll get what I'm looking for.

Baked Honey Lemon Glazed Wings
From Rock Recipes blog

3 pounds chicken wings, cleaned and cut into two pieces, tips removed
Salt and pepper to season
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
3 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup honey
Finely grated zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Season the wings with salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Sift together the flour, pepper, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.  Dredge the chicken wings in the seasoned flour.  Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack over the sheet.  Bake the wings on this rack at 350°F for about 45 minutes, turning them over halfway through the cooking time.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, saute the shallot in the olive oil.  Cook for one minute, then add the honey, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.  Simmer together for about 5-10 minutes.  Transfer the cooked chicken wings to a large bowl and pour the hot glaze over the wings.  Toss well to coat all of the wings in the glaze.  Garnish with grated lemon zest and chives if desired.

No comments: