Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever: Finnish Salmon Casserole

I love trying new cookbooks.  Especially when they promise me the best of something.  Now I know it will probably turn out to be a lie, because honestly, everyone's idea of best is a little bit different, but I'm willing to spin the roulette wheel.

My mom made tons of casseroles when I was a kid because that was the fastest, easiest way to feed a pack of wild little girls.  Everything in one dish.  Done.  It doesn't get any easier.  We ate tuna noodle casserole, hamburger pie, broccoli and cauliflower casserole...  Ah, nostalgia.

I figured since tuna noodle casserole makes me all warm and fuzzy inside that I would start off my kitchen experiments with a fish casserole.  Now, I'm sure you're thinking that sounds a bit crazy.  Start with fish?  Well, what can I say.  I play with fire.  And it didn't turn out that bad.  Or that good.  It smelled amazing, but tasted like...cardboard.  I'm not in love with salting stuff to death, but this thing needs HELP.  Dill to the rescue?

Finnish Salmon Casserole
From The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever by Beatrice Ojakangas

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for the dish
1 pound salmon or rainbow trout fillet, skinned
3 medium potatoes (about 1 pound)
2 medium white onions
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup whole milk
⅓ cup fine dry breadcrumbs
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Butter a shallow 2-quart casserole.

Remove any bones from the fish and cut into 1-inch cubes. Peel the potatoes and cut into matchsticks. Peel the onions and trim off the ends. Cut the onions in half lengthwise. With the cut sides down, cut each half lengthwise into matchsticks.

Put the fish, potatoes, and onions in the casserole and pour the cream and milk over all. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, dot with the 2 tablespoons butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the potatoes are tender and the breadcrumbs are golden.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: