Saturday, January 17, 2009

For the Love of Cooking: Baked Zucchini Coins

Yesterday I found a fun new store near my house called Chef Central. And you know I just couldn't pass up a store with that name. It's like a giant toy store for adults. I walked slowly down the aisles, fondling the All-Clad pans. I caressed the Le Creuset French ovens. I coveted the glimmering knife sets. I stared openly at the kitchen in the back where a cooking class was taking place. And then I joined reality and bought a $3 crinkle cutter to make myself feel better. Okay, so I also got some vanilla beans and a cupcake book, but still!

I have been looking for one of these FOREVER, and no, I don't want to have to get out a mandolin slicer every time I want crinkles. This is so much easier, and it may be the best $3 I've spent lately. I used it to make some really good zucchini coins dusted with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.

Baked Zucchini Coins
Loosely adapted from For the Love of Cooking

2 large zucchini
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs, such as Progresso
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Dash garlic powder
Dash dried basil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Cut the zucchini into coins, about ¼-inch thick. Combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings thoroughly. Dip the zucchini coins into the breadcrumbs and Parmesan mixture, making sure to coat evenly. Place on baking sheet and spray the tops of the coins with cooking spray. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and tender.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

No comments: