Sunday, April 06, 2008

Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook: Stuffed Peppers


Okay, so this isn't exactly an international recipe, but I decided it would fun to go back to my childhood and relive a yummy dinner courtesy of Better Homes and Garden's 1960-something checkered cookbook. My mom used to cook almost exclusively out of this particular book, so most of the comfort food from my youth makes an appearance between its covers. So tonight I made stuffed peppers, a tomatoey-cheesy dish that makes my mouth water.

Stuffed Peppers
Adapted from the 1974 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

4 extra-large or 6 medium green peppers
1 pound ground beef
⅓ cup onion, chopped
½ teaspoon sea salt
Dash freshly ground black pepper
1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes
½ cup water
½ cup long-grain rice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 ounces Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
½ cup tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350°F. Core peppers. Drop into a pot of boiling water, and simmer for five minutes. Drain and place standing up in a glass dish. Set aside.

Brown ground beef and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes (including liquid), water, rice, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Add Cheddar cheese, and stir until melted.

Stuff peppers with beef and rice mixture. Top with tomato sauce. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to use recipes from the older cookbooks. I was fortunate enough to be given my Grandma's cookbooks when she passed and you just can't beat some of those tried and true recipes! This looks wonderful, by the way!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! really nice and simple. i am going to post a very similar recipe to it in the next few weeks but i am using already cooked rice and ground beef.

Anonymous said...

how funny you should have this post. I was just looking for stuffed bell pepper recipe today. Simply Kismet!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting this!! I lost a page in this cook book and was unable to find this version!! I'm so excited... This recipe was one of the favorites!!!

Unknown said...

I love this recipe. I was given an old better homes and gardens cookbook and I used to make this recipe all the time. My cookbook fell apart and I bought a new one but I can't find the recipe in there anymore! Thank you for this!