Sunday, April 30, 2023

Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook: Fudge Brownies


I really can't believe that I haven't put this recipe on my blog yet.  These brownies were a staple of my childhood, and I still have the recipe memorized.  I even made them for a high school friend who paid me for a pan of them.  They're basic but delicious.

Note: You can substitute ¼ cup cocoa powder for ¼ cup of the flour, and it will really pump up the chocolate flavor.  Also, ½ teaspoon espresso powder wouldn't hurt either.  And if you happen to press some chocolate squares into the batter and sprinkle some Maldon salt on top before baking, it wouldn't be a terrible thing, either.

Fudge Brownies
From the 1974 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
¾ cup sifted all-purpose flour
½ cup chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate. Remove from the heat; stir in the sugar. Blend in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla. Stir in the flour and nuts; mix well. Spread in a greased 8x8-inch pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool.

Makes 16 servings



No comments: