Monday, April 17, 2023

Martha Stewart: Sautéed Mushroom Butter and Bacon Tea Sandwiches


I have a confession.  I didn't really make this recipe.  Well, not exactly to the specifications below.  I had extra mushroom butter from when I made asparagus two weeks ago, and I knew I wanted to use it up (because dang, mushroom butter is special, and butter ain't cheap), so I deliberately looked for recipe ideas.  I also added some tomatoes to the sandwich and made it a regular sandwich, so there's that.  It was...a lot.  The bacon plus the butter made my arteries seize up a bit.  I recommend you go with mayonnaise when you do a BLT.  However, I also made a version with the mushroom butter, cold rotisserie chicken breast, and mixed sprouts (above, on right).  That one was much better, and I recommend it.

Sautéed Mushroom Butter and Bacon Tea Sandwiches
From Martha Stewart

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, tough ends of stems removed, diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup Madeira or sherry
24 thin slices whole-wheat bread
1½ pounds (about 24 slices) bacon, cooked
1 bunch arugula, cleaned and trimmed

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons butter and the oil. Add mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper; sauté until mushrooms begin to soften and juices evaporate, about 8 minutes. Add Madeira, and remove from heat; deglaze pan, stirring with a wooden spoon until liquid has evaporated. Let cool, and place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add remaining butter; pulse until mushrooms are finely chopped, about 1 minute.

Thinly spread two slices of bread with mushroom butter; cover one slice with a single layer each of bacon and arugula, and top with other bread slice. Use a serrated knife to trim crusts and cut in half diagonally into two triangles. Cover with damp paper towels until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

Makes 2 dozen

No comments: