Sunday, February 26, 2023

The English Kitchen: Sticky Sausages


There's just something comforting and homey about a nice sausage with mash.  And I'm not even British.  And there's a part of me that secretly loves a good marmalade, so when I find a recipe to use it in unusual ways, I'm always interested.  These bangers were delicious, the sauce was a perfect foil for the fattiness of the sausage.  I will admit that I made some parsnip puree instead of a good British mash, but it was still delicious.  Definitely on the rotation list.

Note: I managed to find Irish bangers, and that's what I used for this recipe, because I definitely didn't want some fennel-choked Italian link.  It's actually a bit surprising how hard it is to find British sausages in the US.  Italian and German, yes.  British?  Not a chance.

Sticky Sausages
Adapted from The English Kitchen blog

1 tablespoon canola oil
4 pork sausages, such as Cumberland
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 sprig fresh rosemary

Heat the oil in a skillet and add the sausages. Cook the sausages, turning them frequently, until golden brown on all sides and almost cooked through (about 12 minutes). Drain any remaining oil from the pan.

Whisk together the vinegar, marmalade, soy sauce, and mustard in a small bowl. Warm together in the microwave until the marmalade melts, whisking all together well. Pour this over the sausages in the skillet and add the rosemary. Simmer gently for several minutes, until sausages are well-glazed and cooked through.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: