Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Donna Hay: Maple and Thyme Roasted Pumpkin


Ever since acquainting myself with the kabocha pumpkin many years ago, I've been a big fan.  While I know the butternut squash is the true star of the pumpkin puree can, I was drawn to kabocha as more of a "pumpkin", while still being delicious to eat.  So I regularly collect any recipes I can that make this pretty squash shine, especially as the season ends.  This recipe was incredibly easy, and the nuts were a fantastic foil for the squash, even if my convection oven got a little overzealous.

Note: The original recipe used pecans and almonds, but I had some walnuts left over, so I used those instead of the almonds.  Honestly, use whatever nuts make you happy - they all work.

Maple and Thyme Roasted Pumpkin
Adapted from Donna Hay magazine, issue 38, as seen at 80 Breakfasts blog

4 wedges golden nugget pumpkin or kabocha squash, about 1½ pounds total weight
Scant ¼ cup maple syrup
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup chopped pecans
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Place the maple syrup, butter, thyme, and nuts in a bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste – it should have a sweet-salty flavor balance.

Arrange squash wedges in a roasting pan, or any sort of pan where they’d fit. Pour the honey-nut mixture over the squash, dividing evenly between their little hollows. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: