Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Spicy Bourbon Cranberry Sauce


For years I've been trying to find a cranberry sauce recipe that yields something sweet and sour and complex.  I've been disappointed multiple times (although the sauces themselves were fine, if basic).  So finally I decided it was up to me to work out what I wanted.  I knew I wanted citrus, and I'm never going to turn down the opportunity to add bourbon.  But then I thought - what if it was a little spicy?  And not just spicy, a little smoky?  I'm honestly really happy with the way this turned out, and I think I've finally found my cranberry sauce.

Note: As much as I love fresh orange juice, I feel like the stuff in the bottles has a stronger orange flavor.  For this recipe I used a little bottle of pulp-free Simply Orange.  I used Maker's Mark as the bourbon, but you do you.  Also, the number of chipotles is determined by how spicy you want the cranberry sauce: one if serving to grandma, two if you want some zing, 3 or more if you like searing the skin off your tongue.

Spicy Bourbon Cranberry Sauce

1 (12-ounce) bag cranberries
1 cup orange juice
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
Finely grated zest of one orange
1 to 2 chipotles in adobo, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
Pinch of kosher salt
2 to 3 tablespoons bourbon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Wash cranberries; pick out any mushy ones and discard. Add cranberries to a medium saucepan along with the orange juice, sugars, orange zest, chipotle pepper, cinnamon stick, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until berries have popped and softened and mixture is thickened.

Remove from the heat and add in the bourbon. Return to the heat for 30 to 60 seconds, then remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Let cool.  Remove cinnamon stick and refrigerate until serving.

No comments: