Friday, November 25, 2022

Aunt Nellie's and Reddit: Creamed Onions


Each year I look for something new and interesting to make for Thanksgiving, and I have to pilot the recipes for myself before introducing them to the family at large (this is how fennel became a Thanksgiving staple).  I've long been fascinated with creamed onions, but the thought of having to peel five thousand pearl onions always gave me pause.  When I saw it could be done with jarred onions, this recipe got moved to the top of the pile.  This dish really gives me a whole 1950's nostalgia feeling.

Note: I had a really hard time finding these onions.  Not even Amazon had them in stock.  I did end up ordering from a random grocery website, but if you see them in stock in your area, just grab them.

Creamed Onions
Adapted from Aunt Nellie's and u/C4bl3Fl4m3 on Reddit

2 (15-ounce) jars Aunt Nellie’s Holland-Style Whole Onions
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1½ cups half-and-half
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1½ teaspoons Badia complete seasoning
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch nutmeg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
Salt and ground white pepper
¼ teaspoon paprika

Drain onions, reserving ½ cup of the liquid.

Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 minute, until bubbly. Stir in half-and-half, onion juice, and sherry; cook and stir 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in cheese, Badia seasoning, mustard, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add onions; pour into a 1½-quart baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350ºF 15 to 20 minutes, uncovered, until bubbly.

No comments: