Monday, June 12, 2023

Andy (soundsyum_): Korean Pork Belly Bowl


I don't know about you, but it seems hard to find a good, meaty piece of pork belly.  Most of the slabs I see in the butcher case are 75% fat.  Now, I'm all about some bacon fat, but I definitely don't want to feel like I'm just chewing rubber.  Luckily I was able to find a piece with a better meat to fat ratio, which meant it immediately needed to be the star of the show.  I saw this little number on Instagram and knew it needed to be in my mouth.  A super fast and tasty dinner.

Korean Pork Belly Bowl
Adapted from Andy (soundsyum_) on Instagram

1 pound pork belly, sliced thickly and then cut into 2-inch squares
6 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons gochujang
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons peanut oil
Cooked white sushi rice
Furikake

Mix together the garlic, honey, gochujang, soy sauce and sesame oil. Put half of the sauce into a bowl with the pork belly, and stir until all pieces of pork belly are coated. Set aside the other half of the sauce to use as a topping, if desired.

Heat a frying pan over medium heat and when hot, add peanut oil. Add pork belly slices, without crowding the pan, and cook until browned lightly on both sides. Don't let it burn! Set aside cooked pieces in a warm place until all pork belly is done.

In a serving bowl, add white rice, then lay pork belly slices over the top. Drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with furikake. You can also make musubi, substituting the pork belly for the usual Spam.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: