Saturday, January 07, 2023

The Hungry Excavator: XO Fried Noodles


Well, it's a brand new year, and I'm trying to keep the home cooking going, so I needed to start making some dishes to carry me over the next week.  A little while ago I had picked up a very fancy package with XO sauce inside of it, but it wasn't until I got home that I realized I wasn't entirely sure what to use it with.  Cue me googling frantically.  While I don't have a wok, per se, I do have something wok-ish, and it turned out this plate of yum.  I was afraid the chili oil would be too spicy, but I honestly kinda wish I had used the full 2 tablespoons.  Season as you wish.  You could also dump in some sliced mushrooms, chopped cabbage, whatever suits your mood.

XO Fried Noodles
Adapted from The Hungry Excavator blog

XO Sauce (see below)
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 large eggs
Dash of kosher salt
¾ cup diced yellow onion
1 pound ground pork
7 ounces rice vermicelli (soaked for 1 hour, then drained)
1 cup shredded carrot
1½ cup chopped green onions (approximately 12 green onions)
Fried shallots, for garnish (optional)

For the XO sauce:
5 tablespoons XO sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1½ teaspoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 to 2 tablespoons chili oil (optional)
3 tablespoons water

Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and set aside.

Heat up a wok with the oil on high heat. Once hot, add the eggs and salt and scramble the eggs with your spatula until cooked. Dish and set aside.

In the same wok, fry the onions until fragrant. Stir in the minced meat and fry until almost cooked while breaking up the meat with your spatula continuously (so that it doesn't lump together).

Add in the drained rice vermicelli and carrots. Stir in half of the sauce mixture. Stir everything until evenly coated. Sometimes, doing this with chopsticks might be easier. Stir in remaining sauce until completely even.

Add the scrambled eggs and chopped spring onions before giving it a final stir. Serve while hot and garnish with fried shallots, if using.

Makes 5 servings

No comments: