Thursday, December 08, 2022

A License to Grill: Smoked Beef Back Ribs


Holy heck.  I have to admit, I never thought something this beautiful and tender and succulent would come from anywhere but my local barbecue restaurant.  This new toy of mine is definitely earning its keep.  These babies cooked along all afternoon, mostly unheeded by me, and they turned out fantastically.  Get yourself a Traeger, folks.  Worth every penny.

Note: I used a beautiful rack of wagyu beef ribs I grabbed at Costco and The Salt Lick rub, because that's what I had, and their smoked meats are delicious.  Use what makes you happy.  I chose not to use the spray, as I read elsewhere that it basically destroys the crust and makes it take a lot longer to cook.  Every time you open the smoker, you disturb the internal temperature - "if you're lookin', it's not cookin'" appears to be the mantra.  My ribs took somewhere between 7 and 8 hours to finish; I stopped checking time and just checked temperature, so that's an estimate.

Smoked Beef Back Ribs
Adapted from A License to Grill blog

1 rack beef ribs
Rub of your choice

Preheat the smoker to 250°F.

Turn the ribs over so the bony side is up and peel off the membrane. This is the thick tissue that covers the back of the ribs. Use a butter knife to get under the membrane and loosen it. Once you get it lifted, use a paper towel to hold onto it and pull it off. Sometimes it pulls right off in one piece.
 
Generously coat both sides and all edges of the ribs with the rub. Let the ribs sit for 10 to 20 minutes to let the rub settle into the meat. You could also let the ribs sit in the fridge overnight with the rub – it will act as a dry brine and tenderize the meat further.
 
Place the ribs in the pre-heated smoker and cook for somewhere between 4 to 8 hours, until the ribs are 160°F on a meat thermometer.  Remove the ribs from the smoker and wrap in butcher paper.  Return the ribs to the smoker.

Continue smoking until the ribs register between 200°F and 205°F on the meat thermometer.  Remove the ribs from the smoker and cover with butcher paper or aluminum foil for 10 to 20 minutes before serving.

No comments: