Monday, September 05, 2022

Tess Posthumus: Groseille (Red Currant) Syrup and Difford's Guide: Dutch Artist's Special


When I found some absolutely beautiful red currants, I immediately snapped them up.  I made some little cakes with most of them, but I was left with a bit in the bowl.  I was stumped - not enough to make into jam, but also not enough for another full recipe.  Until I came across this one for a red currant syrup.  But what to use it in?  Apparently there was very famous cocktail during the 20's in Paris called the Artist's Special.  It used Scotch, sherry, lemon juice, and red currant syrup.  I found another recipe for a Dutch version that included genever in the place of scotch, and added kirschwasser.  That sounded right up my alley.  It's very floral, but not sweet.  The perfect cocktail for a heavier dinner.
Note: I could not for the life of me find genever.  Apparently only the hipsters in Austin, TX get to use.  I substituted gin, and it was still a pretty fine cocktail.

Groseille (Red Currant) Syrup

From Tess Posthumus blog

10 ounces red currants
¾ cup granulated sugar
2½ cups water

Remove the red currants from their stem by using a fork.  Muddle the currants in a pan to get the juices out.  Add the sugar and water and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.

Let simmer for another 10 minutes until all the sugar is dissolved and the juices are released from the berries.

The recipe yields 420 mL of unstrained red currant syrup.  Let the syrup cool and fine strain through a sieve and a second time through a coffee filter. This will take a while and you might want to use multiple coffee filters.  Once strained, add a shot of vodka and store in a clean glass bottle in the fridge.

Dutch Artist's Special

1½ fluid ounces genever (gin can be substituted)
½ fluid ounce amontillado sherry
½ fluid ounce kirschwasser
½ fluid ounce lemon juice
½ fluid ounce groseille (red currant) syrup

Shake all ingredients with ice and fine strain into a chilled glass.

No comments: