Sunday, December 15, 2019

Lemons for Lulu: Toasted Coconut White Chocolate Fudge


I always thought I was a semi-sweet chocolate-only kind of fudge person.  I never thought that would change.  But now I'm questioning what I know about myself, because this fudge is unreal.  UNREAL.  I made this as a present for coworkers, and it was pretty much unanimously decreed as super delicious.  I highly recommend making this part of your yearly holiday preparations.

Note: I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips.  I also actually poured this into two 8-inch disposable foil pans, and it worked well.  A 9-inch pan will get you really thick fudge.

Toasted Coconut White Chocolate Fudge
From Lemons for Lulu blog

1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
3 cups granulated sugar
¾ cup unsalted butter
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
12 ounces white chocolate chips
1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
2 tablespoons cream of coconut (found in drink mixer section of your grocery store)
1 teaspoon coconut extract

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Spread the coconut out in a thin layer on a half sheet pan or cookie sheet.  Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the coconut is light brown.  Remove the pan from the oven quickly and transfer the coconut to a dish so that it doesn't burn.

Prepare a pan by lining a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a saucepan combine sugar, butter, and evaporated milk over medium heat. Bring mixture to a rapid boil, stirring constantly. Continue to cook for 4 minutes, or until a candy thermometer registers 234°F. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the chocolate and marshmallow fluff. Add in coconut cream, coconut (reserving 2 tablespoons), and extract. Pour into prepared pan, top with reserved toasted coconut.

Allow fudge to set completely before cutting into squares.

No comments: