Sunday, May 06, 2018

Tasty Japan: White Coffee Pudding


I'm not normally a big fan of puddings made with gelatin.  I'm more of a egg- or cornstarch-thickened girl.  I'm not sure there's a good reason other than the fact that sometimes gelatin items can set pretty stiffly, and I like my puddings with a little more movement.  However, I do allow for some flexibility when something looks particularly inviting, and this pudding looked so pristine on Facebook, I couldn't resist.  However, my pudding turned out more of a very light brown than white (I'm not sure if it was my coffee beans that caused the coloration or I'm just a victim of some choice photo-shopping).  Despite the color difference, the pudding was delicious, very delicately flavored and light.  Perfect for a summer dessert!
.
Note: I used Mexican chocolate flavored coffee beans, and they worked really well in this pudding flavor-wise.  For color, not so much.

White Coffee Pudding
Adapted from Tasty Japan

1 envelope gelatin powder
3 tablespoons water
1½ cups whole milk
6 tablespoons heavy cream
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup coffee beans (preferably flavored)
Whipped cream, to taste

In a small bowl, combine gelatin powder and water, and microwave it for 10 seconds.  Stir and set aside.

Put milk, heavy cream, sugar, and coffee beans into the pan. Heat over a medium heat. Once brought to a boil, stop the heat and cover with a lid. Soak for 30 minutes. Remove coffee beans from the pan, then pass the milk through a sieve. Add the bloomed gelatin, then mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture equally into four glass dishes, then chill for at least 2 hours or until set.

Add whipped cream and coffee bean for topping, enjoy!

Makes 2 cups

No comments: