Monday, January 01, 2018

Pioneer Woman: Zannie's Blackeyed Pea Dip


Every New Year's Day I try to fit blackeyed peas into my meals in some way, just in case there really is something to this good luck thing.  And let me tell you, it's not always easy, especially if you're not overly fond of blackeyed peas.  But luckily this year I was able to find a dish that is warm and cheesy and fits well on a tortilla chip, which is doing pretty well in my book.  The jalapeño, salsa, and hot sauce add a nice firey background, but you could definitely take that up a notch with something with a little more burn than the Tabasco I tossed in.  I would absolutely also serve this with some guacamole on the side.

Zannie's Blackeyed Pea Dip
From Pioneer Woman

1 (14-ounce) can blackeyed peas
¼ cup finely chopped white onion
¼ cup sour cream
8 jarred jalapeño slices, finely chopped
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons salsa
Hot sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350°F. Drain the blackeyed peas and partially mash, leaving some whole.  Add all other ingredients, stirring to combine. Spread into a 1½ quart baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve with chips.

Makes 12 servings

No comments: