Monday, May 01, 2017

Central Market Cooks: Pam's Pimiento Cheese


I have lived in the southern half of the US for far longer than I ever lived in the northern half, but for some reason I keep coming across foods that I never experienced until I was an adult.  (I blame it on Betty Crocker's evil influence.)  Pimiento cheese never seemed entirely appealing to me, and it honestly sounds gross when you describe it ("so yeah, you put a bunch of cheese in some mayonnaise...").  But goodness gracious and bless your heart, it's like a southern tap dance on the tongue.

Note: I added some chopped iceberg lettuce to my sandwich because I wanted a cool crunch to accompany my pimiento cheese, but no taste interference.  Highly recommended if you want a fancier "tea sandwich" for a ladies lunch.

Pam’s Pimiento Cheese
Adapted from Central Market Cooks

2 cups shredded sharp yellow Cheddar Cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 (4-ounce) jar roasted red pepper, diced small
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill weed OR 1 teaspoon dried dill
¼ cup mayonnaise (or less, just enough to moisten)
Salt and ground white pepper to taste

Mix Cheddar and mozzarella cheese in a medium bowl. Add the diced red pepper, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, and dill weed. Add enough mayonnaise to make the desired consistency and toss lightly to mix well. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: