Wednesday, November 21, 2012

What Katie Ate: Thyme Roasted Baby Carrots


So it's Thanksgiving panic time again!  What a wonderful season.  I give thanks for having to spend three days in my kitchen, hoping new recipes don't turn out to be stinkers.  Luckily my new friend (at least in my head), the What Katie Ate blog, had a recipe for the tiny carrots I just couldn't resist buying in a last-minute fit of we-won't-have-enough-to-eat.  Hey, I fought people off for those carrots.  I wanted something good that would make me feel better about elbowing a granny.  Okay, so I didn't exactly elbow her.  I just used my superior strength and speed to snatch the last carrots.  Yes, I am that person.  I know I should be ashamed.

These carrots are so easy it's almost ridiculous, and they turn out roasty toasty good.  They kind of caramelize and sweeten and become all kinds of yummy.  And they were certainly my backup in case the stuffing failed.

Thyme Roasted Baby Carrots
From What Katie Ate blog

2 pounds baby carrots with tops, trimmed and washed
1½ tablespoons olive oil
1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1½ tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Toss the carrots, oil, and thyme leaves together in a large bowl.  Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.  Spread the carrots in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet; dot with butter.  Roast until tender and brown, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.

No comments: