Monday, July 30, 2012

Ghirardelli: White Chocolate Raspberry Muffins


Years ago, when I was living in New Jersey, I discovered a book of recipes from Ghirardelli chocolate.  They were all decadent and absolutely fabulous, and I drooled on every page.  I also started a collection of chocolate bars in my pantry that probably would have concerned my family.  And what did I discover in those chocolate bars?  There were MORE recipes in the wrappers.

I've never been a big lover of white chocolate, as I'm not sure we should even be calling it chocolate when it has no cocoa solids, but that's just me apparently.  However, when I saw the recipe for muffins with fresh raspberries and white chocolate chunks, I knew it was something I needed to make.  I mean, that's a pretty fancy muffin...fresh berries and white chocolate?  That's right up my alley.

The only thing I can tall you is to keep checking on the muffins because I'm not entirely convinced they need as much cooking time as is specified.  They seem to go from perfect to overcooked while you're busy blinking.  I stand at the little window to my oven compulsively watching them.  But that's just me.

White Chocolate Raspberry Muffins
From the Ghirardelli chocolate bar wrapper

¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
8 ounces white baking chips
6 ounces (½ pint) fresh raspberries
2-3 tablespoons demarara sugar

Preheat the oven to 375°F.  Prepare 2 muffin pans with 18 liners.

In a medium-sized bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth.  Add the egg and vanilla extract, and stir until combined.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with flour.  The mixture will be slightly lumpy.  Do not overmix, or it will result in a tough muffin.

Stir in the white baking chips.  Carefully fold in the raspberries without breaking the berries.  Fill the prepared muffin cups about ¾ full.  Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the demarara sugar.

Bake the muffins for 16 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.  Cool the muffins in the pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins to the rack to cool completely.

Makes 18 muffins

No comments: