Sunday, October 18, 2009

Allrecipes: Licuado de Mango

Today I went with a friend to a Guatemalan restaurant in Union City, NJ. I don't remember the name, but it was a small storefront, with a bakery rack near the door, and some seating on the side. It was pretty chilly inside, but the food was fabulous.

First I had a licuado de mango, which is mango and milk frothed together in a blender. Like a milkshake, but no ice cream. For an appetizer we had some Guatemalan sopes: masa rounds with tomato, ground beef, and white cheese on top. For lunch I tried two different kinds of tamal.  One a tamale colorado: pork, red bell pepper, and tomato inside, and the other a tamelito de loroco: masa mixed with loroco and no filling. I also ordered a guacamole tostada because I'm a glutton.

Licuado de Mango
From Allrecipes

1 mango, peeled, seeded, and diced
1½ cups milk
3 tablespoons honey
1 cup ice cubes

Place all ingredients into a blender.  Cover and blend until smooth.  Serve immediately.

Makes 1 drink

1 comment:

Betty said...

Oct 18. Dammit I moved already. I would have demanded an invite to this meal!